Monday, December 5, 2011

BAND REVIEW : Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

 
By Scary Barry Rodriguez           December 5, 2011
 
This last Saturday night the Scary one was cursing my cable television provider for the dearth of good programming . I noted that the Guitar Center Sessions program had Grace Potter and the Nocturnals scheduled. I had never heard of this band but being bored out of My skull there was nothing to lose ! Grace Potter as evidenced by her program interview and song performances is one talented , intelligent , rocking woman and a babe to boot ! She came across as straightforward no bull ! It is rare for the subject of an interview to be so honest. I was almost distracted by her short skirt and great looking legs.
 
The band is very good , especially lead guitarist Scott Tournet. His tasteful slide guitar playing and melodic lead work help complete the Nocturnal's band sound. Ms. Potter is a talented song writer with a boldacious voice. She cited the influence of the Band , Neil Young and others. This could be heard in many of Her songs. The country music influence was present in the ballads. My only knock on Potter's vocals is that is too heavy for some of the slow ballads. I want to concentrate on the lyrics without being blown away by the vocals.
 
Before Saturday night I didn't realize Waitsfield , Vermont existed. Hollywood records did well signing up the Nocturnals. Having now heard their sound I would be inclined to give them my vote by buying a concert ticket. Their songs are well constructed and I love the sound of the Hammond B-3 , not to mention being entranced by all around charisma of Grace Potter. Many of the songs are very derivative of those that I've heard in My many years on this earth. Every musician knows that it can't be helped.  I'm certain that Grace Potter's songs will eventually evolve into a completely distinctive sound.
 
If by chance Grace Potter reads this review I want Her to know that she rocks ! 
 
 
Courtesy of Scary Merlin Productions.  BarryRodriguez (c) 2011. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment